Math is much more than numbers. Math also means logic, or ways we train our brains to work with information. When we use our reasoning skills to draw conclusions from clues, it's called deductive reasoning.
We've been playing with Logic Boxes in class, and they are so fun! We practiced solving Logic Boxes that were developed by other people, then created our own! In two groups, we invented clues to help the other group figure out which animal was preferred by which character, or which logic box theme was created by which student.
Here are a few pics depicting the creation of our Logic Boxes:
Curious about the Logic Boxes that we made? Presenting ...
Welcome to another round of summer's end and autumn's begin ... the Dome School year jumps right in!
In the elementary program, one overarching theme winds its way through our days from the beginning of the year until its end. Although teachers pick the annual theme, it's really the kids who guide its development through their curiosity and interest. Thus we can say that this year's theme is OREGON! But we won't dare surmise the specifics of how our theme will manifest this year. Instead, teachers consider possible starting points:
(1) The land of Oregon was home to many people before migrants from the east arrived with new cultures and a new name, "Oregon."
(2) Our little valley is a paradise, so why not start by learning about our own backyard?
(3) Oregon is one of 50 states. Can we name them and their capital cities? How about the countries to the north and south of our country -- how are they divided into smaller bits?
(4) The mountains, rivers, lakes, and valleys have been here longer than any of us. How did they form, and how are they still forming?
(5) Who lives here besides humans? Our plant, animal, and mushroom neighbors deserve some recognition!
(6) Oregonians are working to build a better world through art, literature, the sciences, technology, and activism -- let's celebrate our genius, innovative rabblerousers and recognize the spark of brilliance inside each of us.
Where will our Oregon theme go?
Only time (and the kids) will tell.